Jofra Archer Excluded from Old Trafford Test
England’s Jofra Archer has been excluded from the second Test against the West Indies after breaching the team’s COVID-19 protocol.
Archer was named in Root’s 13-man squad last night but will instead start five days of self-isolation. He will have to record two negative COVID-19 tests during this period before he can return to the team’s bio-secure bubble.
The second Test, which begins at Old Trafford today, is a must win match for England following their 4-wicket defeat at the Ageas Bowl last week.
The West Indies have been made aware of the breach and are satisfied with England’s response.
Jofra Archer Exclusion: What Was Said
In a statement on the ECB website, Archer apologised for his actions.
“I am extremely sorry for what I have done,” he said. “I have put not only myself, but the whole team and management in danger. I fully accept the consequences of my actions, and I want to sincerely apologise to everyone in the bio-secure bubble.
“It deeply pains me to be missing the Test match, especially with the series poised. I feel like I have let both teams down and again, I am sorry.”
Elsewhere, former England captain Michael Vaughan questioned England’s ability to win without Archer. Speaking on BBC Radio 5 live, he said: “It’s a blow for the England side, Jofra Archer is a wonderful cricketer.
“It’s doing to make it so much more difficult for England to get back into the series.”
Archer’s Exclusion Gives Root Selection Headache
Archer came to life in the second innings of the first Test of the summer. Posting a useful 23 to set the West Indies a target of 200, the Barbados-born bowler took 3-45 – including opener Kraigg Brathwaite and dangerman Roston Chase – to keep England in the hunt deep into the fifth day.
However, his exclusion leaves captain Joe Root with a selection headache. Announcing the 13-man squad yesterday, Root – returning to the squad following paternity leave – opted to rest fast bowlers Jimmy Anderson and Mark Wood.
England now have the unenviable task of facing the West Indies with only one genuine pace bowler in their squad, 34-year old Stuart Broad, and must select three players from Broad, Chris Woakes, Sam Curran and uncapped Ollie Robinson to play at Old Trafford.
Joe Denly has also been dropped for the second Test following a string of poor batting performances and is replaced by Root.
Jofra Archer has been fined and received an official written warning for breaking bio-secure protocols.
— England Cricket (@englandcricket) July 18, 2020
We hope you enjoyed the article ‘Jofra Archer Excluded from Second Test for Breaching COVID-19 Protocol.’ What do you think of Jofra Archer’s actions and exclusion? Let us know!
Read more on Cricket here:
Footballers of the future: Pedro Gonçalves
WSL Preview: Man City vs Chelsea in Title Showdown
Footballers of the Future: Aurélien Tchouaméni
England’s Relationship with Right-Backs
European Speedway Round-Up (W/E 11th April)
The title race in Europe’s top five leagues
Footballers of the Future: Noni Madueke
F1 Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix: Max Verstappen wins after Imola red flag
News6 months ago
The Greatest Male Tennis Players of All Time
Football1 year ago
Players with the most Goals in A Premier League Season
Football9 months ago
Chelsea’s Possible Lineup For Next Season
Basketball4 months ago
The 5 Biggest NBA trades so far this off-season
Football12 months ago
Who is the Fastest Football Player in the World?
Football6 months ago
10 of the most underrated footballers in the world right now
Football7 months ago
Spurs’ 2020-21 Potential Starting XI
News12 months ago
The Fastest Rugby Players Ever