Euro 2020: Czech Republic vs England Preview
England will host Czech Republic at Wembley tonight at 8pm live on ITV in their final group match of the European Championships. The winner of the match will qualify as Group D winners for the last 16.
Manager Gareth Southgate has said that Jordan Henderson and Harry Maguire could feature in the match after recovering from a groin and ankle injury respectively. Both players are yet to play a minute at this years tournament.
It is believed that Ben Chilwell and Mason Mount will not be available as the pair are self-isolating as a precaution due to coming into close contact with Scotland’s Billy Gilmour, who tested positive for Covid-19 over the weekend.
The winner of the match, who will finish top of Group D, will face the runners-up from Group F, compromising of France, Portugal, or Germany. For the nation who finishes in second place, they are likely to go to Copenhagen to face the team who finishes second in that group, out of Sweden, Slovakia, Spain and Poland.
Southgate confirmed that England striker Harry Kane will start against the Czechs tonight, despite the Tottenham forward coming under scrutiny for his performances against Croatia and Scotland. As for Czech Republic’s star striker patrik Schick, he is the joint top scorer in the competition, tied with Cristiano Ronaldo, Romelu Lukaku and Georginio Wijnaldum with 3 goals.
England predicted XI: Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw; Rice, Phillips; Saka, Foden, Grealish; Kane
Czech Republic predicted XI: Vaclik; Coufal, Kalas, Celustka, Boril; Soucek, Kral; Masopust, Darida, Jankto; Schick
Ready for game number three. 👊
— England (@England) June 22, 2021
- The 4 previous meetings between England and Czech Republic have produced 14 goals.
- The 2 nations were in the same Euro 2020 qualifying group. England won 5-0 at Wembley, and Czech Republic won 2-1 in Prague.
- The 2 teams are facing each other in a major tournament for the first time.
- England’s 0-0 draw with Scotland was their 17th goalless draw at a major tournament. More than any other nation.
- If Czech Republic fail to score against England, it’ll be only the third time England will have kept a clean sheet in all 3 group matches of a major tournament. Last time they did this was when they won the World Cup in 1966.
- Tonight will be Gareth Southgate’s 57th match in charge of the Three Lions, surpassing the total of Roy Hodgson (56).
- If Czech Republic avoid defeat to England, it would only be the second time they would go through the group stages at a major tournament without losing a game.
— Czech Football National Team (@ceskarepre_eng) June 21, 2021
We hope you enjoyed the article ‘Euro 2020: Czech Republic vs England Preview.’ What are your predictions for the match? Do you think England will finish top of the group? Let us know!
Read more on football here:
The Best of Wrestlemania: which rank as the best of all time?
A Breakdown on the Greatest Cricket Rivalry: The Ashes
How to break stereotypes: Trans in sport and personal life of athletes
Is Esports part of the Tokyo 2021 Olympics?
Premier League Season Preview 2021/22
Is Lando Norris the Most Consistent Driver in F1?
Michael Johnson – Gone in 20 Seconds
Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson – WWE Legend
News9 months ago
The Best Male Tennis Players of All Time
Football1 year ago
Players with the most Goals in A Premier League Season
Football9 months ago
10 of the most underrated footballers in the world right now
Football12 months ago
Chelsea’s Possible Lineup For Next Season
Football1 year ago
Who is the Fastest Football Player in the World?
Basketball8 months ago
The 5 Biggest NBA trades so far this off-season
News1 year ago
The Fastest Rugby Players Ever
Football11 months ago
Spurs’ 2020-21 Potential Starting XI